Trust & Obey

Monday, September 27, 2010

| | |





"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." -Psalm 23

I learned the above Psalm in the persistent, abiding wording of the King James Bible, from my grandmother. She used to have me read it with her every night before bed. The psalm talks about how God is our refuge and our leader, and with Him we don't want or doubt, or even fear. About how we commit to dwell in His house forever. And when I've looked at my grandmother, that is exactly what I have seen. She describes herself in her yearbook page as having a "studious air" about herself, and I can not think of any better way to describe her.
In the photo's posted, Gram went to high school with Bill Winfrey. Bill is a brother to Jack Winfrey, who has basically became like a father to me. I don't know how much interaction they had as teens, but it's interesting to see how God has had a hand in this whole situation. He leads me, just like the Psalm says. Grandma couldn't have possibly known that Jack & Donna would become a huge part of my life, but that's how God works. And it's been interesting to hear Jack talk about Uncle Jim (Grandma's brother), "Now Jim was a big fella (and he was!!) and I always asked him why he didn't play football and he would always say that he didn't want to hurt anyone!" "He may have been a big fella, but he sure did care about others!"

Even in as I reflect on the many times my husband and I could have met growing up, but never did...but we ended up together. One of Kyle's friends was dating a friend of a friend of mine, and went to our proms. Another of Kyle's friends had a grandmother who was friends with my mom, and yet two more friends went to the church that I went to youth group at...and still I never met Kyle until Vennard.

As I reflect on this verse I pray that my heart continues to be softened by it and that I am continually amazed by God's work. That I learn to trust God more and obey His every word.

0 comments:

Post a Comment