Popsicles

Thursday, August 19, 2010

| | |
He knows that I love eating all the "good" flavors of Popsicles before all the ones I consider gross. He knows that I consider a jar of baby dill pickles heaven on earth and he knows that the smallest thing can be sentimental to me and make me tear up. Kyle also knows the things that matter most about me, like my character. So when recently I had a falling out with a family member and cried for basically a day, he listened to what was on my heart, and he trusted me at my word. And when this family member emailed him to tear down my character, Kyle in reply, stood up for me and my character. There aren't even words to describe how I feel. To know that I can be open and honest with my husband, and know that he trusts me-is an amazing feeling. To know that we can have raw and candid discussions about anything-I'm quite grateful for it. And most people will be like, "Well isn't that what a Christian marriage is," and they are right. but when you've grown up your entire life with examples of relationships that AREN'T like that-it's pretty cool to be a part of one that is.
One of the things I love about our relationship is that we try to be honest with each other in all aspects-and that includes everything from calling one another out to sharing joyous moments together. And learning together with Christ is one of the biggest things we are working on together.
I read the book of Titus this morning, and when I mentioned it to Kyle he got excited as Titus has kept coming up in his reading too. There were many many interesting things I found in Titus, but wanted to share a few.
"To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good." Titus 1:15, 16. Paul's language here is very strong and very direct. And I pray as I continue in my walk with Christ, that I would not be "tempted" or "contaminated" by things that are not pure. Zondervan's Bible Commentary pointed this out as well. "J.N.D. Kelly makes the valuable observation that when modern people quote the apothegm, they usually take the word exclusively in the moral sense and deduce that the man who is himself pure need not fear contamination by anything impure. This is a dangerous half-truth, and far from Paul's meaning. From this point Paul proceeds in phrases of strong condemnation to describe those responsible for these heresies..." In the last two years I've been accused of being pregnant outside of marriage, of cheating on in class tests, being a hypocrite, judging people and being uptight. Having at least one person who honestly knows your true character as a Christian, it means the world. And it brings even more truth to Paul's writings-that we need to be as pure in Christ as possible. Because by all means possible, people around us will try to bring the name of Christ down. Paul continues in Titus talking about what must be taught and doing what is good. I specifically like Titus 2:11-14-"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say, "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

Lord, help this to be my prayer today-that I might be like you. Love minded, but ready and willing to speak your truth-all of it, not just what people want to hear. To help them understand that you are a loving AND just God. Father, help me to forgive and move on. Help me to have a better prayer life, and to lift all burdens to you. Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment