Parenting

Friday, August 13, 2010

| | |
All my life I've thought that your mom is supposed to be the one who stands by your side and supports you, no matter what. And your dad is the amazing man you measure every other man against. But when it comes to my parents, those wonderful perceptions seem to just be a whisper. Some days I just hope for them to be actual parents, and even then I realize I've hoped for too much. Instead of kind words from my mother when I'm feeling nostalgic, I get her divided attention, between me and who ever seems to be there at the time. I get smiles and laughter to my face and behind my back I get haughty words that tear down my character. Instead of guiding words of wisdom from my father, I get called names that wouldn't even seem appropriate for your worst enemy. I get looked at with eyes of hate and told that I'm "holier than thou." I know as Christians we are told that we are going to be hated...but it still doesn't stop it from hurting. Especially when it comes from your own parents. It's something I've cried over numerous times, prayed over and it still hurts. My whole life (especially as I've become an adult) I wonder what it would be like to have Christian parents, parents that love you and guide you spiritually. I have Jack and Donna, and people like the Penn's who have given me amazing advice and have been there for me, and Kyle's parents who are amazing as well...but it's different when it's your own parents.
My children are going to have Christian parents who care for them and love them, and who they can be proud of. My children aren't going to have to worry if their father is going to hurt them or if their mother will try to be like their 15 year old friend. Because Kyle and I will place God before everything and be parents to our children.
If you have Christian parents who love and support you-call them up today and let them know how much they mean to you. If your parents are like mine, rest assure I feel your pain and am lifting you up in prayer.

Lord, if it's your will, take this hurt from me. Thank you for the wonderful examples of Christian parenting I see around me, and Lord when I become a parent help me to remember your precepts and know you are King.

0 comments:

Post a Comment