Buttons & Marbles

Monday, July 26, 2010

| | |




In working with the youth group last night, I was utterly frustrated. This is the first time since working with them that I don't feel that alot of stuff is getting through. Sadly in a lot of my Christian walk I have been a Pharisee, doing all the right things on the outside, but on the inside I was dead. I don't want this for my youth...or for my own future children. In just observing other parents, Kyle and I have decided that we don't want to be our children's "best friend," we want to be their parents. Same with the youth. We don't want to be their best friends in the sense of we are the ones who promote the things of youth, like gossip and sexual promiscuity. But be the Christian adults that they feel they can trust to come to with anything. Growing up my Mom was my best friend...and that was great when I needed someone to gab to, but when I looked to an authoritative figure, I looked to my grandmother. She instilled the rules, and yet let me be a child. I remember under her bed she had jars of buttons and I would spend hours looking through them. She had two jewelry boxes full of costume jewelry. My cousin Amber and I would dress up in old clothes and Grandma's costume jewelry and sing and dance right along with Lawrence Welk. Grandma was a big fan of board games, especially Chinese Checkers. In the cabinet above the kitchen sink she kept this old wooden box full of marbles, and just like the buttons, I was just as enthralled. My grandmother was a wonderful parent to me...she let me live out my childhood out. I think that is one significant thing that is wrong with todays society-children are being forced to grow up too soon, and make decisions about adult things-and they aren't equipped to make such decisions. I pray for todays youth as God guides us through this journey. It reminds me of Joshua when God commands him to take on Jericho. One thing you see in Joshua is persistence when God assures him he won't be alone. "....so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous because you will lead these people..." (Joshua 1:5b-6a).
"Be strong and courageous because you will glad these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:6-9). In a short few chapters later you see Joshua is victorious. May this be your prayer for today, to be strong and courageous wherever we go. May we meditate on the word of the Lord so that we may learn how to understand and equip those around us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment